[Ntop] Is PCI passthrough definitely needed for Ntopng Edge on KVM?
Victor Hooi
2018-11-18 19:33:59 UTC

Does Ntopng edge always need PCI passthrough on network cards?

I'm thinking of setting up a Proxmox 5.2 system, running ntopng Edge in a
KVM virtual-machine.

The physical machine has four on-board Ethernet ports, so I was going to
pass through two of these to act inline.

However, I see that
https://www.ntop.org/guides/nedge/get_started.html#running-into-a-vm mentions
that you must enable PCI passthrough.

Is this for performance reasons? Or there's some other reasons for it?

Thanks,
Victor
Victor Hooi
2018-11-18 20:29:51 UTC
Hi Luca,

Thanks for getting back!

My knowledge of some of this is a little lacking, so forgive me if this is
naive.

However - what if you created a dedicated bridge interface in KVM, attach a
single physical Ethernet interface to that bridge, and only assign that
bridge to the ntopng Edge VM?

(I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you meant by bump in the wire).

Thanks!
Victor
Post by Victor Hooi
Victor
the problem is that when using virtual adapters you in essence use a
switch and thus we cannot implement the bump in the wire as the collision
domain will prevent it from working, So yes, you need PCIe passthrough
Regards Luca
Hi,