[Ntop] Sampling factor for Flows
Robert Williams
2017-01-26 12:09:44 UTC

I’ve just bought a license for nprobe so I can test without the 25k flow limit, the setup is simple:

[Cisco] -> Netflow V9 -> [nprobe] -> zmq -> [ntopng]

The Cisco uses 1 in 20 sampling for Netflow, but I can’t seem to find where to inform nprobe (or ntopng) of this sampling? The result of this is that all data in ntopng is shown as 1/20th of real rates.

One of the other programs we use to analyse Netflow data here has a parameter for it, which is:

netflow_sampling_ratio = 20

So that it knows to 'upscale' the flow data, essentially, I’m just looking for this parameter in nprobe/ntopng.

The only one I found is within nprobe and looks like this:

[--sample-rate|-S] : <pkt rate>:<flow rate>
| Packet capture sampling rate and flow
| sampling rate. If starts with
| '@' it means that nprobe will report
| the specified sampling rate but will
| not sample itself as incoming packets
| are already sampled on the specified
| capture device at the specified rate.
| Default: 1:1 [no sampling]

However – this doesn’t seem to let me configure a sampling rate for flows for ‘reporting only’. Just a sample ratio for mirrored traffic, which of course I’m not using.

Any input welcome - Cheers!

ROBERT WILLIAMS
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR

Custodian Data Centres
Tel: +44 (0) 1622 230382 || E-Mail: mailto:***@CustodianDC.com
http://www.CustodianDC.com

Disclaimer: https://www.CustodianDC.com/email-disclaimer
Registered Office: Vinters Business Park, New Cut Rd, Maidstone, ME14 5NZ.
Company Number: 07878023
Robert Williams
2017-01-26 16:35:15 UTC
Hi Simone,

Many thanks for that! All sorted now, although I can’t see it in my documentation here unless I’ve got an old version of the docs perhaps?

Cheers!!

[--collector-sample-rate] <value> | Specify the bytes/pkts collection sample rate (NetFlow only).

Regards,
Simone

Hi,

Tel: +44 (0) 1622 230382 || E-Mail: mailto:***@CustodianDC.com<mailto:***@CustodianDC.com>
http://www.CustodianDC.com

Disclaimer: https://www.CustodianDC.com/email-disclaimer
Registered Office: Vinters Business Park, New Cut Rd, Maidstone, ME14 5NZ.
Company Number: 07878023

[Custodian Data Centres]<https://www.custodiandc.com>
Robert Williams
Technical Director
Custodian Data Centres
T: +44 (0) 1622 230382
E: ***@CustodianDC.com<mailto:***@CustodianDC.com> W: www.CustodianDC.com<https://www.custodiandc.com>
ISO 27001 Certified - 100% Uptime

Data Floor 4 Launch - 2nd Feb 2017 - Book Now<https://www.custodiandc.com/DF4-launch-booking>

Registered Office: Vinters Business Park, New Cut Rd, Maidstone, Kent ME14 5NZ Company Number 07878023
Click here to view our email disclaimer<https://www.custodiandc.com/email-disclaimer>

Marat Khalili
2017-01-30 08:01:03 UTC
Post by Robert Williams
The Cisco uses 1 in 20 sampling for Netflow
Sorry for deviation, do you know what Ciscos use it? I have very strange
results with ntop+netflow on Cisco ASA here (fw 9.6.2), but cannot find
time to investigate. No Cisco ASA documents on netflow mention any
sampling rate.

With Best Regards,
Marat Khalili